Unless, As и As long as
Мы используем союз unless в значении "если только не".
За unless следует придаточное предложение. Вот некоторые примеры:
- I'll see you tomorrow unless I have to work late.
- Unless it rains, we'll go for a picnic by the river tomorrow.
- There are no buses to the beach. Unless you have a car, it's difficult to get there.
- "Shall I tell Liz what happened?" "Not unless she asks you."
- Sally hates complaining. She wouldn't complain about something unless it was really bad.
- We can go by car to the center - unless you would prefer to walk.
- Вместо unless часто можно сказать if ... not:
- If we don't leave now, we'll be late.
- We all looked at the sky as the rocket were flew above us.
- I watched her as she opened the letter.
- As I walked along the street, I was thinking how to make workaround in the program.
- Can you turn off the light as you go out, please?
- Мы также используем as чтобы сказать, что что-то произошло во время того, как мы делали что-то другое. В этом случае мы используем Past Continuous:
- Margo slipped as she was trying to climb the stairs.
- We met Paul as we were leaving the hotel.
- Иногда мы говорим just as что означает "именно в этот момент":
- Just as I sat down, the phone rang.
- I had to leave just as the conversation was getting interesting.
- Мы также используем as когда две вещи длительное время происходят вместе:
- As the time went on, the weather got worse.
- I began to enjoy the job more as I got used to it.
- Сравните as и when:
Мы употребляем as в значении "во время того, как":
As we walked home, we talked about what we would have for dinner.
When we got home, we started cooking the dinner.
- As также может иметь значение "потому что":
- As I was hungry, I decided to find somewhere to eat.
- As it was a public holiday last Thursday, most of the shops were shut.
- As we have plenty of time before our flight, let's go and have a coffee.
- Yesterday we watched television all evening as we didn't have anything better to do.
- As I don't use TV set, I've decided to throw it away.
- Еще вы можете использовать since в том же смысле:
- Since we have plenty of time, let's go and have a coffee.
- Сравните as и when:
|I couldn't contact David as he was away on holiday and he doesn't have a mobile phone.||David's passport was stolen when he was away on holiday.|
|As they lived in the same region as we lived, we used to see them quite often.||When they lived in the same region as we lived, we used to see them quite often.|
- You can borrow my car as long as (so long as) you promise not to drive too fast.
- Travelling by car is convenient provided (providing) that you have somewhere to park.
- Provided (Providing) the bills are paid, tenants will not be evicted.
- Обратите внимание, что когда мы говорим о будущем, мы не употребляем will, а используем настоящие времена:
- You can stay here as long as you keep quiet.
- Providing the weather is good, we're going to have a picnic.